Tuesday 24 July 2012

A Deck Makeover...Part 1

Let's begin by sharing a pretty picture first, before the ugly ones burn your eyeballs. Sound good?
I thought you would agree.
This week, I worked on a little makeover for our back deck.
To say it was in sore need of some lovin' would be an understatement.
Things were lookin' super ugly.
Case in point. Here is Ugly Stepsister #1.
She's old, ripped, ragged and needs a fast pass to the nearest dumpster.
How did things get so bad?
Well, I usually spend 6 weeks of the summer in Nova Scotia, so I can REALLY ignore this ugly mess.
Except this year...I am home and I have to look at it every day!
No. Thank you.

Please view Ugly Stepsister #2.
Old, peeled, weather beaten, and rotten in some spots.
Our deck is somewhat large, so every spring, either Ron or I vow to paint this big sucker...but summer goes by and neither one of us has gotten into action.
I think that we are both so intimidated by this painting project that we end up just avoiding it.
Well. Avoid no more.
I have come to the realization that we should hire this job out.
For 8 summers, we have been saying, "I'm painting the deck this year!"
Just. Doesn't. Happen.
Right now, I am in the process of hiring painters to come tackle this job for us.
To be honest, if this deck is going to get so little attention, we may as well hire professionals to do a darn straight job to begin with.


To start the makeover, I embarked on a little shopping trip this week.
I like shopping for outdoor items this time of year because {happy voice} clearance sales.
Yup. Things are at a greatly reduced price right now.
I managed to find these new brown chair cushions for just $16.94 each at Superstore.
I though they were perfect...a nice neutral brown.
The square pillows were $3.94 each and I loved the blue and green pattern.
For less that $85, I got rid of Ugly Stepsister #1 completely.
Things look so much better already!
While at Superstore, I also picked up 6 round rattan placemats for $2.50 each.
I have looked at them at other stores many times, but the price was much higher than $2.50.
And see those cute little turqouise petal bowls?
They were 44 cents marked down from $4.00 each.
I said, "SHUT UP!" and threw 6  in my cart to make the table pretty.
So for less than $100, I gave the deck a little makeover to make it into a space that we want to spend time in.
This afternoon, I used it as my blogging office.
And with this little project done, I am so excited to move on to the next step.
Hopefully, soon, I will be able to share with you the demise of Ugly Stepsister #2.



This post is linked to these parties:
Hodge Podge

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from