Monday 30 July 2012

How I Stopped Killing Plants and Learned to Grow Something...

Yes, I admit it. I am a horrible gardener. I don't even think 'Gardening for Dummies' could help me. I just don't have a green thumb or a green anything. However, I do have a yard to take care of and I have to work on getting the green thing going on. I am so proud of  myself because this summer I had some very small successes! {I so admire all you gardeners out there who share your lovely gardens & plants on your blog!}
This is the garden you see as you walk to our front door. Not so long ago, it was looking nasty. Unloved & untended. Every year, I weed this garden and I plant things to fill in the bare spaces, but usually 3 out of the 4 things I plant die. It is very discouraging. In my defense, going to Nova Scotia for 6 weeks in July & August doesn't help. But still...I was determined to do better this year. It began with this question, "What was I doing wrong when planting new plants?" . Hmmm. I watered them after planting...just like the gardening books said. They still died. I killed them.
So I did a little more research and talked to some people at the greenhouse. And you know what I learned? It helps if the hole is watered before the plant goes in, then  back filled and then watered again. So this is what I did differently this time around. {I know this is probably common sense for a lot of people, but not for me unfortunately}. I also bought some 'root booster' nutrient mixture and mixed that with the water that went into the hole first. I bought a total of 9 plants and planted them using this method, and they are doing great! Small steps. Small steps. Here is the front garden now....completely weeded, and planted with some new perennials.
And after 6 weeks, the plants have filled in nicely and we have Shasta Daisies blooming,
Brown Eyed Susans,
and some Lavender.
And I also 'baby' my little babies...I talk to them and ask them to grow and I water them as soon as they look dry!

Next year, I want to try a vegetable garden....a big honkin' vegetable garden full of tomatoes and beans and swiss chard and beets and everything yummy!

Have you had any small successes lately with a job that has been your nemesis?
What did you do to overcome it?


If you would like to see my spray-painted bucket planters project, please go here.

And to see Part I of my back deck makeover, please go here.

And you might like to take a peek at these Pinterest Boards:
Summer Mantels
Outdoor Ideas
Camping Recipes & Ideas
Flowers To Love
Canning Projects To Love

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from