Tuesday 27 August 2013

3 Tips For Getting Out of A Dinner Rut

With a new school year starting, it's the time of year when families are looking to get organized for the academic year with new schedules and routines. After a summer filled with fun activities, making dinner is something that may have fallen by the wayside or you may even find the family is in a huge 'dinner rut' where the same boring meals are made over and over again. It has happened to us, and I know it happens to every family at times. I want to share with you my 3 top tips for climbing out of the 'dinner rut' and back into a schedule of tasty meals that has everyone leaving the table with happy tummies!
1. Meal Plan.
I cannot stress how important this first step is!  A sure way of getting out of a dinner rut is to plan meals for the week. And by planning, I don't mean choosing elaborate meals and new recipes. I mean choosing simple meals that are not only tasty but easy to make after a busy day. Meal planning is simply a food plan for the week so you don't have to think about dinner at 4 or 5 pm when energy is low, or you are busy shuffling kids to afternoon activities. I use a very simple notepad to write down at least 5 meals for the week and this one simple strategy is such a life-saver for me! A great place to start meal-planning is to simply check the fridge, freezer and pantry to see what items already purchased can be used to create meals. This will save time and money by using ingredients you already have!
2. Keep It Simple.
As I mentioned above, busy weekdays are not the time to try new recipes...save that fun for the weekends or when there is more time. I like to keep meals simple by choosing easy salads, using a slow cooker, serving cut-up veggies or fruit for side dishes, and even making 'breakfast for dinner' to help us keep on track.
A favourite 'breakfast for dinner' in our house is Bacon & Egg Cups served with Mini-Pancakes. Did you know that it only takes a few minutes to make homemade pancakes that are filling & delicious?
In cooler weather, Taco Soup is a favourite crock pot recipe that everyone loves!
Another easy dinner are these Sloppy Joes! Serve with Cole Slaw, cut up raw veggies or a green salad for a super fast dinner.
3. Make It Mexican.
I honestly think that Mexican cuisine is one of the fastest and most delicious things that can be made for dinner. I know whenever I serve Mexican at our house, I can count on a winning meal  that everyone loves and enjoys! I was thrilled to learn recently that I had been chosen as an Ambassador for Old El Paso, and I will be sharing some delicious Mexican recipes in upcoming posts. Did you know that the Life Made Delicious website  has a ton of great Old El Paso/Mexican meal ideas for busy families? Since grilling season is far from being over, I have chosen these 3 recipes to add into our meal plan to help us escape our dinner rut. And here they are:
Grilled Picnic Taco Nachos
Grilled Shrimp Fajitas
Grilled Chicken Soft Tacos
 For more great ideas, you can also visit the Old El Paso Facebook Page where you will find several ideas for keeping the dinner rut at bay! You can also join the conversation on Twitter for more delicious dinner ideas at #YouMexiCan. 

I hope with meal planning, simple ideas and some Mexican dishes, that your family will enjoy dinner time again as we begin a new school year!

Disclosure-I am participating in the Old El Paso Blogger Campaign by Mom Central Canada on behalf of General Mills, and received compensation as a thank you for participating and for sharing my honest opinion. The opinions on this blog are my own.


This post is linked to:
The DIY Dreamer, Gingersnap Crafts, The Inspiration Exchange, Under The Table & Dreaming,
Block Party Linky Party, Craft-O-Maniac, A Pretty Life, Uncommon Designs, Aalderberry Hill, Homestories A to Z, Time To Sparkle, Gingersnap Crafts, The DIY Dreamer, Savvy Southern Style, The 36th Avenue, Inspire Me Please, Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Tidy Mom, Inspiration Gallery, The Frugal Girls, Whipperberry,

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from